The books listed below may be available through publishers, distributors such as bookstores or online retailers, or library systems.
Level K, Unit 2
READ ALOUD BOOKS
- Bread Is For Eating
- by David and Phyllis Gershator. Henry Holt and Company, 1995.
- Sing a song of bread making and share the warm glow of family and community in this Spanish and English text.
- Willie Bear and the Wish Fish
- by Debi Gliori. Macmillan, 1995.
- Willie Bear shows his parents how to enjoy the weather of each day and not always wish for something else.
- Garage Song
- by Sarah Wilson. Half Moon Books, 1991.
- Find out how people at a service station help satisfy a need in their community.
- The Mitten
- by Jan Brett. G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1989.
- Nicki's mitten serves the need for shelter of many forest animals.
- Apartment House Tree
- by Bette Killion. HarperRow, 1989.
- One tree meets the needs of many small animals.
- Blueberries for Sal
- by Robert McCloskey. Viking, 1948.
- Sal and a baby bear get lost and discover each one needs their mother. A Caldecott Honor book.
READ TOGETHER BOOKS
- Sheep in a Jeep
- by Nancy Shaw. Houghton, 1986.
- A flock of sheep discover riding in a jeep is not the easiest way to travel.
- If You Give a Moose a Muffin
- by Laura Joffe Numeroff. Harper Collins, 1991.
- Give into a moose just once and he might have more unusual requests for you to answer. Great book for discussing needs and wants.
- On Market Street
- by Arnold Lobel. Greenwillow, 1981.
- Award-winning illustrations depict the variety of the market place in this stunning alphabet book. A Caldecott Honor Book.
- by Bruce Degen. Harper Collins, 1983.
- You need many different kinds of berries for a Jamberry. Rhythmic text plays with compound words.
TEACHER RESOURCE BOOKS
- All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten
- by Robert Fulghum. Villard Books, 1989.
- Joyful Learning
- by Bobbi Fisher. Heinemann Educational Books, Inc., 1991
- A teacher shares her experience of whole language in a kindergarten classroom. Includes bibliographic references for teachers and parents.
PAPERBACK PLUS BOOKS
- My House
- by Lisa Desimini. Henry Holt and Company, Inc., 1994.
- Using a combination of collages, photographs and paint, this book celebrates a house and the people who believe in it.
- Sylvester and the Magic Pebble
- by William Steig. Simon & Schuster, 1969.
- This classic fantasy tells how in a moment of panic Sylvester turns himself into a rock. A Caldecott Medal Book.