Below are links to various materials we've created to support students' work on the unit theme: Growth and Change.
- Unit Bibliography: This is a list of supplementary materials to help you to meet the needs of individual students in your classroom.
- Classroom Activities: To extend instruction, here are some creative activities you can print and use in your classroom.
- Theme Project Organizer: This is a worksheet you can print and distribute to students to help them track their work on the Theme Project.
- Theme Project Links: Here are Internet resources for students to use while working on the Theme Project.
Here are links to Internet resources that can be used to support instruction of the “Think Like a Geographer” feature for this
unit: How Did Roads Link the Ancient Roman World?
- Construction and Makeup of Roman Roads
- This illustrated essay offers a detailed look at the construction of Roman Roads. The page is part of a University of North Carolina Web site on Ancient Roman Technology.
- Viae: The Roads of Rome
- Kentucky Educational Television provides an entertaining and information look at Roman roads, including an explanation of the link between Roman military chariots and modern American railroads.
Here are links to Internet resources that can be used to support instruction of the “Citizenship” feature for this unit: What Is Democracy?
- The Ancient City of Athens
- Athens is a modern city now, but ancient ruins bear witness to the days when Pericles guided Athenians in their search for a just and fair government. This Web site features photographs of the Parthenon and other classical Greek buildings.