Below are links to various materials we've created to support students' work on the unit theme: Growth and Opportunity.
- Unit Bibliography: This is a list of supplementary materials to help you to
meet the needs of individual students in your classroom.
- Classroom Activities: To extend instruction, here are some creative activities you can print and use in your classroom.
- Theme Project Organizer: This is a worksheet you can print and distribute to students to help them track their work on the Theme Project.
- Theme Project Links: Here are Internet resources for students to use while working on the Theme Project.
Additional Internet resources can be used to support instruction of the “Think Like a Geographer” feature for this
unit: How Did Indiana Become a National Crossroads?
- Conner Prairie Home
- This site is an excellent source for Indiana history. History Online includes several articles on the development of Indiana transportation. The National Road describes the development of the first interstate highway, and Travel and Transportation includes travel times between Indiana towns in the early nineteeth century.
Here are links to Internet resources that can be used to support instruction of the “Citizenship” feature for this unit: What Can You Give Back?
- The American Red Cross of Greater Indianapolis
- Sometimes people give to their communities by contributing their time and their skills. The volunteers of the American Red Cross of Greater Indianapolis help their neighbors in times of disaster.
- The Foundation Center
- This site is the homepage of the Foundation Center, an independent nonprofit clearinghouse dedicated to collecting and disseminating information on foundations and support of the nonprofit sector in the United States. The site contains information on the Center's activities and features an online version of “Philanthropy News Digest,” a collection of articles and feature stories on philanthropic endeavors across the nation.