Below are links to various materials we've created to support students' work on the unit theme: Conflict and Change.
- Unit Bibliography: This is a list of supplementary materials to help you to
meet the needs of individual students in your classroom.
- Classroom Activities: To extend instruction, here are some creative activities you can print and use in your classroom.
- Theme Project Organizer: This is a worksheet you can print and distribute to students to help them track their work on the Theme Project.
- Theme Project Links: Here are Internet resources for students to use while working on the Theme Project.
Here are links to Internet resources that can be used to support instruction of the “Think Like a Geographer” feature for this
unit: How Were the North and South Different?
- 49th Indiana Volunteer Infantry 'Company F' Reenactment Unit
- Read about the heroic soldiers of the 49h Infantry, including their role at Vicksburg and the efforts of today's reenactment unit to preserve their memory.
- An Outline of American History (1990)
- This chapter in the hypertext history From Revolution to Reconstruction highlights the growing tensions between North and South, leading to secession and the bloody Civil War.
Here are links to Internet resources that can be used to support instruction of the “Citizenship” feature for this unit: Can You Teach Others?
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics tells all about what it takes to become a teacher.