The books listed below may be available through publishers, distributors such as bookstores or online retailers, or library systems.
Books for Independent ReadingEASY
- A Forever Family
- by Roslyn Banish. Harper/Trophy. 1992
- Jennifer Jordan-Wong shares the joys and tribulations of her recent adoption.
- by Diana Engel. Macmillan, 1993
- When Loretta moves to a new town, she misses her grandfather and the time they spent fishing.
- The King and the Tortoise
- by Tolowa M. Mollel. Clarion, 1993
- In all the animal kingdom, only a tortoise can outsmart a king.
- The Chalk Doll
- by Charlotte Pomerantz. Harper/Trophy, 1989
- Making a doll sparks childhood memories for a mother who lived in Jamaica as a little girl.
- Apple Picking Time
- by Michele Benoit Slawson. Crown, 1994
- When it's time to pick apples, everyone in town helps.
- Maxi, the Star
- by Alan Ayers. Dial Books, 1993
- Maxi the dog takes Jim on an adventure across the country to Hollywood.
Read Aloud and Reference BooksREAD ALOUD BOOKS
- The Wise Old Woman
- by Yoshiko Uchida. Macmillan, 1994
- A young farmer's respect for the wisdom of his aging mother saves his entire village.
- Back Home
- by Gloria Jean Pinkney. Dial Books, 1992
- Ernestine returns to the country home where she was born for a summertime visit.
- Literature-Based Social Studies
- by Mildred Knight Laughlin. Oryx, 1991
- Great children's books for the K-5 curriculum.