Houghton Mifflin Social Studies
The World I See
Lesson at a Glance
Social Studies Center |
Houghton Mifflin Social Studies |
Grade K Home
Unit 4, Lesson 1: On the Road (pp. 96-99)
The Big Idea
Framework Concept: Problem-Solving Students use
listening and observational skills to explore different
places a person might travel.
- Invite three volunteers to retell the story using the three
illustrations on Big Book pages 19 and 20. Write the following
questions on chart paper and review them with the storytellers
before they begin to retell the story:
- Who are the people in the illustrations?
- Where is the family going?
- What problem did the family have in this part of the story?
- How did the family solve its problem?
Check for Understanding
- Have students find books from the class library that show people
traveling to different places. Invite students to share the illustrations
and, if they know the story, they can retell it to the class. Invite them
to point out any problems the characters may have on their trip.
- Have students draw picture stories about places that
they have traveled to or would like to go to. Have students
share with the class any problems they had on their trips.
Education Place |
You may download, print, and make copies of Lesson at a Glance pages for use in your
classroom, provided that you include the copyright notice shown below on all such copies.
Copyright © 1998 Houghton Mifflin Company. All Rights Reserved.