Art and Social Studies Activity
In this activity children make a United States flag collage. They understand that
the flag is a national symbol, explain what the stars and stripes stand for, and
appreciate the role national symbols play in our society.
WHAT YOU NEED
WHAT TO DO
- Large paper
Share Your Collage with Others!
- Discuss with children where they might have seen the
American flag flown. Use their responses to make a list of these places.
- Have children search through magazines or newspapers to find pictures or draw their own pictures that show these places.
- Help them to write "Our Flag" at the top of the paper.
- Have children arrange their pictures on the paper the way they want them to appear,
then glue the pictures on the paper.
- Discuss what the flag stands for.
- Draw pictures of other flags you have seen.
Activity Search |
Reading Center |
Math Center |
Social Studies Center
Education Place |
You may download, print and make copies of this page for use in your classroom, provided that you include the copyright notice shown below on all such copies.
Copyright © 1998 Houghton Mifflin Company. All Rights Reserved.