Overview of Section Resources
- Section 1: Raising Brine Shrimp
- Students learn about the life cycle of brine shrimp by raising them in the classroom. They discover what kind of environment is necessary for the shrimp eggs to hatch, observe the hatching of the eggs, study the young shrimp, and compare the characteristics of brine shrimp nymphs and adults.
- Section 2: Ocean Animals
- Students are introduced to ocean life. They study and observe the parts of a ﬁsh, including gills, ﬁns, and tail, and they learn the functions of those parts. Students also learn about camouﬂage and how it functions in helping animals hide from predators.
- Section 3: Animal Structures and Habitats
- Students study the characteristics that are used to compare and classify animals. They observe and compare the characteristics of sow bugs and pill bugs, and help design experiments to learn which type of environment (dark or light; wet or dry) the bugs prefer.
- Section 4: Plant Structures
- In this section, students learn about the structures of seeds and plants. They collect seeds and observe the adaptations seeds have for dispersal by wind, water, or animals. In the classroom, students observe corn kernels sprouting, measure and record the growth of the plants, and study leaves, roots, and veins and learn their functions.