Unit C: The Dynamic Earth
The books listed below may be available through publishers, distributors such as bookstores or online retailers, or library systems.
Leveled Independent Science Books
- Starting a Rock Collection
- Summary: Describes how rocks are formed, classified, collected, and displayed.
- Volcano: Pompeii
- Summary: Describes in detail what happened when Mt. Vesuvius erupted.
- The Story of Sue: T. Rex
- Summary: Describes the discovery of a dinosaur and how it became a fossil.
- Hands-On Projects About Rocks, Minerals, and Fossils
- Simple projects employ materials found on field trips and in backyards.
- Igneous Rocks
- A look at how magma from Earth's mantle forms this rock.
- The types and composition of minerals are explained here.
- The Island That Moved: How Shifting Forces Shape Our Earth
- Using an imaginary island, the author discusses climate, continental drift, and plate tectonics.
- Plate Tectonics
- An explanation of plate tectonics includes information on mountains, earthquakes, and volcanoes.
- Using Energy
- The author discusses how to meet future energy needs, using both traditional and alternative energy sources.
- Fuels for the Future
- Diesel, petrol, wood, and coal are all considered as future power resources.
- How this natural resource is formed, mined, and used is explored here.