Social Studies/Art Activity
In this activity, children will discuss and illustrate family celebrations.
What You Need
- large white construction paper
- crayons, colored pencils, or markers
What to Do
- Discuss with children the idea that families have many special days to celebrate. Give them some examples, such as birthdays, graduations, weddings, anniversaries, and so forth. Ask children what special days they celebrate with their families. Encourage them to share any traditions their families may have for these special days. List their answers on chart paper.
- Review the list with children and point out that while many families celebrate different special days, many also celebrate the same kinds of days.
- Next, have each child draw a picture of his or her family celebrating a special day. The children can refer to the list you made for ideas. Help them to label their pictures. Then have children share their pictures with partners.
- Make a class mural showing families celebrating different special occasions.
- Have a special family time once a month for children to share news of recent family celebrations.