A Special Classroom Quilt
Social Studies/Art Activity
Have children share a special event from their lives with their
classmates by making a classroom quilt.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 5-inch squares of white paper
- 6-inch squares of colored paper
- A roll of white paper
WHAT TO DO
- Brainstorm with children a list of special events. You might
want to start children off with some of these ideas:
- a birthday
- a holiday
- a sports competition
- a recital
- a visit to a
special place or person
- Have each child draw and/or write about a special event on
one of the white squares.
- Then have each child center and paste the completed square
on a colored square.
- When everyone has completed their squares, have children
tape the squares into rows.
- To finish the quilt, have a few children cut out and tape a
white border around the quilt. Children can decorate the border
any way they wish.
- Display the quilt and have children talk about their own
Activity Search |
Reading Center |
Math Center |
Social Studies Center
Education Place |
You may download, print and make copies of this page for use in your classroom,
provided that you include the copyright notice shown below on all such copies.
Copyright © 1997 Houghton Mifflin Company. All Rights Reserved.