Who Lives Here?
In this activity, children will discuss the different kinds of
housing that different pets require. Then they will create Who
Lives Here? riddle cards.
WHAT YOU NEED
- Blank riddle cards (print and copy)
- Construction paper
- Crayons, colored pencils, or magic markers
WHAT TO DO
- Ask children what pets they have at home. List their responses in a column
on chart paper. (Children without pets may suggest a pet they would like to have.)
Then discuss with children the special housing needs of the pets on the list. Do
they need a cage, a tank, a small house of their own? Why? List each pet's "house"
alongside its name on the chart paper.
- Next, tell children they are going to make riddle cards. Pass out the blank riddle
cards and have children fold them in half (so the question appears on the front
of the card at the top). Then read aloud with children the question on the front of the
card. Explain that they are going to draw a picture of a pet "house" on the front of the
card and a picture of the pet that lives in that house on the inside of the card.
Encourage them not to tell what pet they are drawing, since they want people to guess
the answer to the question, Who lives here?
- When children are done drawing, they can exchange cards with one another and
try to guess what pet is inside.
- Post the finished riddle cards on a hallway bulletin board and invite other classes
to guess the answers.
- Have children make a set of Who Lives Here? flash cards with a pet house on the front
and the pet on the back. Then divide the class into two teams and play a game of Who Lives here?,
giving each team a point for a correct answer.
- If you have children who are able to write, have them label their pictures on the inside of the card.
Activity Search |
Reading Center |
Math Center |
Social Studies Center
Education Place |
You may download, print and make copies of this page for use in your classroom,
provided that you include the copyright notice shown below on all such copies.
Copyright © 1997 Houghton Mifflin Company. All Rights Reserved.