Language Arts/Science Activity
There are lots of pet owners who would probably like their pets
to behave a little better. Learn how to train a pet and create a pet
training guide that anyone can use.
WHAT YOU NEED
- Information about pet training
- Colored markers or crayons
- A stapler
WHAT TO DO
- Have children work in small groups to find information about
animal training. Here are some suggestions to help children
- Get books or magazines about animal training from the
- Visit a veterinarian or a pet store owner. They may have free
brochures that children can take home with them.
- Call or go to a dog obedience school and interview a trainer if
there is school near where you live.
- Help your students search the Internet for pet training information.
- Help children organize the information they gathered from the
different sources into sections or chapters for the training
guide. Then have children write a draft of the guide information.
- Have children exchange their drafts with one another to find
out if their guides make sense and to proofread them. Then have
them make a final copy, making any necessary changes. Suggest
that they begin each chapter on a new page.
- Encourage children to draw pictures to go with the information.
- Put it all together. Guide children in inserting pictures in the
appropriate places and fastening all the pages together.
- Make copies of the books for children to take home and share
with their families. If a child has a trainable pet, such as a dog,
encourage them to try to teach the pet a simple command.
Have interested children find out how other animals are
trained to act in movies or on television shows.
Dar Houssen's Dog Training School offers a free dog training manual
which you can download to get some good ideas about animal training.
to Darr's Dog Training Information Page at http://www.houssen.com/home.htm.
Activity Search |
Reading Center |
Math Center |
Social Studies Center
Education Place |
You may download, print and make copies of this page for use in your classroom,
provided that you include the copyright notice shown below on all such copies.
Copyright © 1997 Houghton Mifflin Company. All Rights Reserved.