Children get practice using reference materials to locate
information by making a nature calendar.
WHAT YOU NEED
- Illustrated nature books on a variety of topics, such as insects,
trees, birds, wild animals, pets, and flowers
- Illustrated calendars with single themes, such as flowers, cats, and
- Large construction paper in assorted colors
- 8 x 11 inch white drawing paper
- Pencils, crayons, markers
- Glue or tape
- Single hole-puncher
- Blank calendar grids (print-out and copy)
WHAT TO DO
- Divide children into two or three groups and explain that each group
will make a calendar that illustrates one theme in nature.
- Distribute sample thematic calendars for children to examine.
Explain that because there are 12 months in a year, each group will
need to make 12 different pages for their calendars.
- Distribute 12 blank calendar grids to each group. Some children
might want to make their own grids, using the chart-making feature of
a word processing program or a software program, such as Print Shop
Deluxe by Broderbund or Kid Desk by Edmark that have fun and easy
calendar making features.
- Have children refer to the sample calendars to help them write the
dates for the upcoming year on their grids.
- For the picture part of the calendar, each group should decide upon one
theme in nature to illustrate. Have children look through the reference
books to find a subject they particularly enjoy. Encourage children to
label or caption each picture. Here are a few ideas:
- To assemble the finished calendar pages, have children glue or tape
their drawings and completed grids to large pieces of construction
- Call out the months of the year. Have children line up in the correct
order, holding their finished calendar pages. Staple each calendar
together and punch a hole at the top.
- Give groups an opportunity to share their calendars with one another.
- Ask volunteers to label class members' birthdays, holidays, and
special events on the calendar.
- Keep one calendar for the classroom and present the others to the
office staff and/or another class.
Activity Search |
Reading Center |
Math Center |
Social Studies Center
Education Place |
You may download, print and make copies of this page for use in your classroom,
provided that you include the copyright notice shown below on all such copies.
Copyright © 1997 Houghton Mifflin Company. All Rights Reserved.