And the Winner Is . . .
Social Studies/Art Activity
Children will use their artistic skills to create an award for a fabulous family
WHAT YOU NEED
- Crayons, colored pencils, or markers
- Colored construction paper
- Award Ribbon (print and copy)
WHAT TO DO
- Briefly discuss with children how members of a family help and care for one
another. Ask children to think of a time when a member of their family did
something extra special for another member of the family or for the whole family.
- Divide the class into groups and let them share their ideas with their friends. As
children are talking, explain that these special events could include anything that
made the family happy or proud, such as a mother and father taking the children on
a special trip, a sister scoring a winning goal for her soccer team, or a grandmother
fixing a broken toy.
- Explain to children that they are going to give someone in their family a Fabulous
Family Member award. Then distribute copies of the Award Ribbon and have each
child fill it out. Children can write the reason for the award or draw a picture showing
why the family member deserves it.
- After children have completed filling in and decorating their awards, encourage
children to show the award to a friend and explain whom it is for.
- Have children bring the awards home and give them to their fabulous family
- You may want to keep several copies of the Award Ribbon available for children
to use throughout the year.
- Encourage children to use the Award Ribbon to create awards for
classmates who are fabulous members of the classroom family.
Activity Search |
Reading Center |
Math Center |
Social Studies Center
Education Place |
You may download, print and make copies of this page for use in your classroom,
provided that you include the copyright notice shown below on all such copies.
Copyright © 1997 Houghton Mifflin Company. All Rights Reserved.