Around the World
Social Studies Activity
Celebrate the diversity of your community by setting aside special days
throughout the school year to celebrate other cultures.
WHAT YOU NEED
- Resource materials to provide background: fiction and nonfiction books
- Various art supplies
- Poster board
- Audio and video tape players (optional)
WHAT TO DO
- Have students make a list of countries they would like to celebrate. Then
set up a schedule of what country will be celebrated when.
- Once the dates have been established, divide the class into special
interest groups to begin researching the selected country. One group might
develop a list of words and phrases in the native language of the chosen
country. These might include simple greetings, days of the week, numbers, and
so forth. Another group can create an illustrated chart of interesting fact's
about the country. A third might draw travel posters that beckon travelers to
visit the country.
- If possible, invite a family member, someone from the community, or any
other person to join in the celebration by offering a story, song, dance,
and/or food based on the country of choice.
- In the days before the celebration, have groups share what they have
learned with the entire class.
- On celebration day, decorate the room with the lists, posters, and charts.
You might also display a welcome sign in the guest's native language.
- Follow up the first celebration with a whole-group evaluation of the day.
Encourage a discussion on what students especially enjoyed as well as how
they might have done things differently. Also be sure to have the class send
thank yous to all guests who particpated in the celebration.
- If class interest remains high, plan more special days to celebrate other
Activity Search |
Reading Center |
Math Center |
Social Studies Center
Education Place |
You may download, print and make copies of this page for use in your classroom,
provided that you include the copyright notice shown below on all such copies.
Copyright © 1997 Houghton Mifflin Company. All Rights Reserved.