Unit A: How Living Things Function
The books listed below may be available through publishers, distributors such as bookstores or online retailers, or library systems.
Leveled Independent Science Books
- Animals of the Past
- Summary: Take a look at different extinct animals from dinosaurs to dodos.
- The Animal Trackers
- Summary: Juanita and her Grandpa play an animal-tracking game on the beach.
- Follow Me, Be a Bee
- Summary: A bee takes readers on a guided tour of a flowering plant.
- I Wonder Why Trees Have Leaves
- Questions about plants and their parts are answered here.
- Plant Classification
- In this book from the Life of Plants series, the authors explain how plants are classified.
- Animals with Backbones
- Readers learn about groups of vertebrates.
- Dinosaurs with Feathers: The Ancestors of Modern Birds
- Readers compare the characteristics shared by dinosaurs to modern-day birds.
- Words and photos chronicle the shapes and dispersal of seeds.
- Making Animal Babies
- Readers learn how animals' life cycles vary.