Unit C: Treasures From Earth
The books listed below may be available through publishers, distributors such as bookstores or online retailers, or library systems.
Leveled Independent Science Books
- Finding a Woolly Mammoth
- Summary: The experience of finding woolly mammoth fossils is described.
- Louis Agassiz Fuertes, Painter of Birds
- Summary: Louis Agassiz Fuertes grows from a young bird lover to a famous bird painter.
- A Worm's Home
- Summary: An earthworm describes soil and its relationship with plants and animals.
- Readers learn about the composition of soil and different types of soil.
- This look at fossils explains how they are formed and where they can be found.
- The Best Book of Fossils, Rocks, and Minerals
- This overview gives readers a broad understanding of Earth's natural riches.
- A Handful of Dirt
- A tour of soil presents the multitude of microscopic creatures that live in it.
- Paintings and simple text chart a river's decline from unspoiled to polluted and then back again.
- Garbage and Recycling
- Readers learn why recycling is important and how they can begin recycling at home.
- Over the course of time, Tracy and her neighbors clean up their polluted urban neighborhood.
- This introduction to recycling explains its importance.