Place Value to 1,000
- Have children group and count items in the classroom, such as paper clips, collections, and so on.
- Use the language of place value when you make any groupings.
- Once children have grasped the concepts of place value in the hundreds, introduce money amounts using decimal notation.
- Some children may have trouble writing the number in the hundreds place and write the hundreds number out, e.g., 20035 for 235. Use the place value mat to illustrate and write the number that represents each digit.
- If children have difficulty writing a number with zero, such as 205, have them first show the number with blocks, then write the number on their place value mats. Emphasize that each place must have a number written in it, even if it is a zero.