- You know that Louis will be 9 on this birthday.
- Since he has 3 candles, divide 9 by 3 to find the number of years each candle represents.
- 9 ÷ 3 = 3, so each candle represents 3 years. Place a 3 next to each pyramid-shaped candle in the drawing.
- You know that Paul is 9 years old.
- The pattern for Paul's candles is different from that of his twin, Louis. What does each of his candles represent?
- Guess and check:
What number doubled + 1 = 9?
4 + 4 + 1 + 9
- So, a cube-shaped candle represents 4.
A sphere-shaped candle represents 1.
- Give each figure the numbers shown above.
- See which combination works. Use the clues to check.
- Assign values to the figures, as shown below.
- Next to each candle, write its value.
- Find the sum of the values for each candle group to find each grandchild's age.