Cindy wore 3417.
Lisa wore 5216.
Maria wore 5500.
Tommy wore 5328.
Zack wore 5330.
List the numbers from lowest to highest:
Use the clues.
- Cindy had the lowest number.
Cindy's number must be 3,417.
- The digit in the tens place on Tommy's shirt is one more than the digit in the tens place on Cindy's shirt.
Cindy's number is 3,417. One more than 1 is 2. The only number with a 2 in the tens place is 5,328. Tommy's number must be 5,328.
- Maria was the last person to sign in for the race.
There were 5,500 people in the race.
Maria's number must be 5,500.
- Zack and Tommy were closest to each other in line.
The second clue proved that Tommy's number is 5,328.
The number closest to 5,328 is 5,330.
- Lisa's number is lower than Tommy's.
Tommy's number is 5,328. The only number that is left without an owner is 5,216. That is lower than Tommy's. It must be Lisa's.