Ages 5 to 8
Turn your trash into a work of art.
- recyclables, such as clean plastic gallon containers, buttons, boxes, scrap material, wire, wood
(Items should be safe, non-toxic, and no longer needed.)
- paste and/or glue
- hole puncher
- hammers and nails (optional)
- paints and brushes
- string (optional)
- Randomly select a number of materials you've gathered from around your home.
- Create a totally new “whatsit” that uses all the selected items, putting them together by using the scissors, stapler, paste or glue, tape, and hole puncher or hammer and nails. The whatsit can be functional and/or decorative, just as long as it's new and different.
- Explain the purpose of the whatsit to a friend, and, if necessary, demonstrate how it functions.
- Make whatsits as gifts for friends, neighbors, or family members.