How to Save the Planet
Students will put together a booklet of ways to save the environment.
What You Need
- access to a library or other research sources
- poster board or construction paper for a cover
- markers or crayons to design a cover
What to Do
- Tell students they are going to put together a booklet of things people can do to save the planet.
- Write the title “ Ways to Save the Environment” on the board. Ask students to come up with a target number to complete the title.
- Divide the class into groups.
- Divide the number of tips by the number of groups. The result is the target number of tips each group should look for. You may want to can give each group a specific area to investigate, such as water or waste management, oceans and streams, or wildlife.
- Give the groups time to research their tips. If you have Internet access, students can use the websites listed below.
- Have a member of each group present their tips to the class. Keep a running total on the board to see if the class meets its goal.
- Then assemble the tips into a class booklet. If you would like, you can have someone design a cover.
The Sierra Club
The Sierra Club has focused on nature and the outdoors for over 100 years. Here you can learn about current campaigns to protect the environment.
The National Audubon Society is a conservation organization created to protect birds and their habitats. Learn more about the organization's many programs, check out the electronic field trips it offers, and find out more about the issues it supports, including the Living Oceans campaign.
The Rainforest Alliance
The Rainforest Alliance works to protect the plants and wildlife of the world's rainforests. Here you can find out what you can do to help.
National Wildlife Federation
The National Wildlife Federation is a large, member-supported conservation group dedicated to uniting individuals and organizations to protect nature and wildlife. Check out the contents of this site, which includes classroom resources and activities, environmental activism information, and games and riddles for kids.