Adapting to the Land
Social StudiesStudents understand how people adapt to their environment. Students will consider how the environment affects how people live, identify examples of human adaptation, and appreciate human/environment interaction.
You can use an Assessment Rubric to assess students' mastery of the objectives.
What You Need
What to Do
- List regions in the United States that are very different.
- Draw a landform for each region.
- List ways we adapt to fit our surroundings. For example:
- ways we dress
- ways we work
- ways we build
- Find or draw pictures that show these things.
- Match each picture to a region.
- Have students compare regions and discuss how the environment influences how we live.
- Have students describe ways their community has adapted to fit the environment.