Fontana Banana's Family Picnic
Language Arts/Social Studies
Children will create a silly story about a bear family.
What You Need
What to Do
- Tell children that they are going to write a story about Fontana Banana, a furry brown bear who is six years old. The story will tell about the day Fontana and her family went on a big picnic.
- As you and the children create the story, have them come up with the different people in the family, such as brothers and sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandmothers, and grandfathers. Encourage children to come up with funny names for each character.
- Record the story on the chart paper. You may want to start by making a web listing the various family members and the type of food they are taking on their picnic.
- Then have children tell what happened first, what happened next, and what happened last.
- If you choose to publish the story, have children illustrate it by drawing the different family members and labeling them.