Where We Came From
Social Studies Activity
Children will explore their family heritage.
In preparation for the activity, have children ask their parents and relatives
to list the countries where their ancestors were born.
WHAT YOU NEED
- A large map of the world, displayed on a bulletin board
- Colored stickers, big enough for child's name and name of selected country
- Index cards
- Thumbtacks (optional)
WHAT TO DO
- Choose one country from your list.
- Write the chosen country's name and your name on a sticker.
- Locate the country on the map and place the sticker on it. If you don't
have enough space on the map for all the stickers, pin one large-headed thumbtack
into each country and use
yarn to connect each thumbtack to an index card. See Step 5.
- Research the country and write five or more interesting facts about the
country and/or culture on an index card.
- Staple the index cards around the border of the world map. Use a piece of yarn to connect
each child's sticker to his or her index card. If you have used thumbtacks rather than stickers
for any countries, have each child write his or her name on the index card. Have children share
with the class the information they researched.
You may download, print and make copies of this page for use in your classroom,
provided that you include the copyright notice shown below on all such copies.
Copyright © 1997 Houghton Mifflin Company. All Rights Reserved.