Family Time Posters
Social Studies/Art Activity
In this activity, children will discuss the benefits of spending
time with family members. Then they will make posters to share their
ideas with others.
WHAT YOU NEED
WHAT TO DO
- Poster board
- Poster paints, crayons, or markers
- Brainstorm with children a list of things they like to do when
they spend time with family members. On chart paper, list their suggestions
under the heading Family Time. Use short exclamatory sentences that children
can copy when making their posters. Some suggestions might include the
following: Read together! Get a hug! Play a game! Walk the dog!
- When the list is finished, have partners make Family Time posters.
Tell children to copy the words Family Time (from the chart) onto the
top of their posters. Then have them choose one of the sentences and
copy it onto the bottom of the poster. (You may want to do the writing
for the children.) Next, have them paint or draw a picture to illustrate
- Have children share their finished posters with the class. Discuss
where around the school (hallway bulletin boards, the library, the cafeteria)
they could display the posters. Then, with the class, display the posters
around the school.
- Assemble the posters into a Family Time big book to store in the classroom
- Display the posters around the classroom and invite family members to
come in for a special family day celebration.
Activity Search |
Reading Center |
Math Center |
Social Studies Center
Education Place |
You may download, print and make copies of this page for use in your classroom,
provided that you include the copyright notice shown below on all such copies.
Copyright © 1997 Houghton Mifflin Company. All Rights Reserved.