Students will have a surprise math lesson as they prepare a simple recipe -- complete with an unexpected guest!
WHAT YOU NEED
- Quick Snack recipe (print and copy)
- Ingredients for recipe
- An unexpected guest
- Your students' favorite recipes (optional)
WHAT TO DO
- Discuss with the class some things that make a guest feel welcome, such as
a big smile, a hearty welcome, and an offer of something to drink or eat. Often
when people visit, it's fun to have a snack ready for all to enjoy.
- Distribute a copy of the Quick Snack recipe to each child. Explain
that this recipe is a good one to use because it is easy to make and
doesn't take too long. However, because it serves only eight people, the recipe
amounts will have to be changed. To do so, ask some math questions such as
- How much of each ingredient would we need if eight more people came?
- What if we wanted to serve the whole class? (It is better to have more than
- If we did not have more ingredients to double the recipe, but had sixteen
people, how could we make sure everyone got an equal amount?
- After you've worked through some of the above questions with the class,
have children make Quick Snack. Ahead of time, secretly invite the principal,
school secretary, lunch monitors, and/or other distinguished guest(s) to surprise
your students as they finish preparing the snack. Ask volunteers to serve their unexpected guests and enjoy the
treat with them!
Students will enjoy making a class book featuring their favorite recipes. Have
children bring in copies of their favorite recipes. Emphasize that it's best to
choose simple recipes -- ones they can prepare with little help. Send a note
home with children, clearly explaining the nature of this assignment. When the
collection of recipes is complete, compile them into a class book for students to
share and enjoy.
You may download, print and make copies of this page for use in your classroom,
provided that you include the copyright notice shown below on all such copies.
Copyright © 1997 Houghton Mifflin Company. All Rights Reserved.