A Special Classroom Quilt
Social Studies/Art Activity
Have children share a special event from their lives with their
classmates by making a classroom quilt.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 5-inch squares of white paper
- 6-inch squares of colored paper
- A roll of white paper
WHAT TO DO
- Brainstorm with children a list of special events. You might
want to start children off with some of these ideas:
- a birthday
- a holiday
- a sports competition
- a recital
- a visit to a
special place or person
- Have each child draw and/or write about a special event on
one of the white squares.
- Then have each child center and paste the completed square
on a colored square.
- When everyone has completed their squares, have children
tape the squares into rows.
- To finish the quilt, have a few children cut out and tape a
white border around the quilt. Children can decorate the border
any way they wish.
- Display the quilt and have children talk about their own
You may download, print and make copies of this page for use in your classroom,
provided that you include the copyright notice shown below on all such copies.
Copyright © 1997 Houghton Mifflin Company. All Rights Reserved.