Children create flip books in which eyes, noses, and mouths get
all mixed up to produce some very funny faces.
WHAT YOU NEED
- Head outlines
- One oak tag backing for each group
- Crayons and colored markers
WHAT TO DO
- Divide children into two or three groups and distribute a copy
of the head outline to each child. Tell children that they are
going to use their imaginations to draw a funny face.
- Point to the horizontal lines and explain that these lines are
the secret to making the faces really funny. Demonstrate how
children should place the eyes above the top line, the nose
centered below the middle line, and the mouth below the
bottom line. Encourage children to add anything else they wish
to the picture, such as wild hair or a silly hat.
- After children finish their drawings, have them carefully cut
along the horizontal lines.
- Next, children in each group sort the strips into three piles,
eyes, noses, and mouths and then staple each section carefully
to an oak tag backing.
- Children can sit in a circle to pass the flip books around and
create funny faces.
Some children may wish to make their own flip book of funny
faces animals, or creatures.
You may download, print and make copies of this page for use in your classroom,
provided that you include the copyright notice shown below on all such copies.
Copyright © 1997 Houghton Mifflin Company. All Rights Reserved.