These butterflies will look like stained glass when they are hung on windows.
WHAT YOU NEED
- Tissue paper in many colors
- One copy per student or group of students of an outline of a butterfly,
- Wax paper, cut about 2" larger than the butterfly outline
- Liquid starch
WHAT TO DO
- Tear colored tissue into different 3" shapes.
- Place wax paper over butterfly outline.
- Use the liquid starch to paint tissue pieces onto the wax paper,
filling in the outline of the butterfly with a mosaic of different colors.
- Add one or two more layers of tissue and allow to dry overnight.
- Cut out the butterfly, following the outline on the underlying paper,
and then slowly peel off the wax paper.
- Tape butterflies to the window and let the sun shine through!
You may download, print and make copies of this page for use in your classroom,
provided that you include the copyright notice shown below on all such copies.
Copyright © 1997 Houghton Mifflin Company. All Rights Reserved.